12 March 2006

More birthday wishes and a hard choice

In yet another March birthday, happy birthday, Allyson. I hear she got to see Ben Folds (so jealous!), so I can't think of a much better way to spend your birthday. Though, Stephen's night in Chattanooga sounded like fun, so hit up his blog (link to the right) to read about it. Speaking of other people's blogs, Jess and Stefan seriously need to update. I mean, I know it's about their trip to Brazil which does not begin for another two days, but omgupdate!

As for the hard choice portion of this entry, it refers to my pending decision for law school. Now, I may be premature in this weighing of options, because I've yet to hear back from any of the schools to which I applied. To recap, these are LSU, DePaul and the University of Akron as a last minute, and free, application, which also serves as a fallback since their standards for admission are nominally lower than LSU's and DePaul's. That being said, my scores and grades for LSU and DePaul are pretty much median or better, so I'm fairly confident about getting into both.

Here's the case for LSU. I love LSU, even though there are several things I dislike about Baton Rouge and campus, I still love it here. Everything from the beauty of the campus, to the sports, to the Chimes and other excellent hangouts. Those of you who have been here know what I am talking about. Also, I am very intrigued by the law school. The program is a dual degree in both civil and common law, based on the unique tradition of Louisiana law. There are no certificate programs to speak of, but there are enough courses in Intellectual Property (what I want to pursue) to certainly make it a specialty here. Big positive for LSU is that as a public school, it's < $12k a year to attend, and it's really cheap to live here, so money won't be nearly as worrisome. Even though I love my home of LA, I'm still not sure I want to live here my whole life, and going to law school here all but makes that certain.

Now for DePaul. I've never been to Chicago, though from what I've heard, read, and seen on TV (mostly via Cubs games) I think I'd really like it. Couple of huge problems though, it's hella expensive to live there and tuition is 30 large a year. They did, however, send me a letter about prelminarily qualifying for a $20k/year scholarship, so if that pans out, at least one of these would be taken care of. What drew me to DePaul was its IP program, it has a true certificate program, IP center, and dedicated faculty. There's also an interesting dual degree program with a J.D. and M.A. in Computer Science, which does not have a specific bachelor's degree requirement, though that's four years instead of three. Also, I would love to live in a big city, Chicago certainly qualifies. There's also this part of me which says, "Get out and do something different and new." There's no doubt that the life experience would be substantial, though I'm not sure how much I'll be able to actually do given both the time and monetary constraints of law school, since I am not allowed to work at all for the first year. Graduating from a private school with a less specified education (since it's just common law) would allow me to move whereever I wanted after graduation.

I put this here to get your input. Some of you have braved the experience of moving to a brand new place for whatever reason. Is it what you expected? What has hardest about it? Some of you have spent a large amount of time at LSU, and those who have left, what do you miss? I should hear back from these schools within a few weeks and will only have another couple after that to make up my mind.

5 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Blogger Loni Huff said...

1. Is [moving to a brand new place] what you expected?

Well, it was definitely colder than I was expecting! I had to buy a coat (a REAL coat, not a jacket) when I moved to Salt Lake City, and you'd likely need to do the same if you decided on Chicago. One of those kinds that make you look like an overstuffed bear.

The culture here is very different from that of Louisiana. I mean, there it's like "Would you like a beer with your McBurger?" and here the alcohol laws are incredibly stringent (although I'm told it was much, much worse before the Winter Olympics). And of course, there is a very large Mormon population here (close to 50% statewide) and that has its plusses and minuses. It's also VERY Republican here, so your vote doesn't amount to a hill of political beans if you happen to be as liberal as I am. That's something else you should consider.

2. What has been hardest about it?

Initially, not having any friends here. At the time, I wasn't working (had a hard time finding a permanent position with such a depressed IT market), but that likely wouldn't be a problem if you're in school. Of course, missing friends from back home is a big downer, but not many would have still been around if I *had* stayed in Louisiana. People in our age group don't necessarily abound with residential permanence.

3. What do you miss?

Waking up at 10:00 AM, mostly. But that's a consequence of graduation, not of moving to Utah! I miss the culture, the laid-back ness of Louisiana. I miss New Orleans and the feeling you get when visiting. I miss the ease of transportation associated with being in college and the freedom with which your college-metabolism allows you to eat!

The best thing you can do is to actually visit the area you're considering. I have no clue if it's baseball season or not, but you might try to go for a Cubs game and visit some local hangouts around the DePaul campus to get an idea of the local attitude (and drink specials!). You couldn't get me to move to Chicago for all the baseball in the world, but I hope you're happy with whichever campus you choose.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Unfortunately, I won't be able to visit Chicago before I have to decide what school to attend. Most schools require a $500 deposit by May 1 if you plan to register and attend. I'm positive I'll like the city, and anything I won't like about it will be simply be the result of the fact that I am away from home and friends here. I will, however, have one friend there, if not in the city, close by in DeKalb. My co-worker and friend Heather and her fiance Chris are either going to John Marshall or NIU, which is in DeKalb. I still may apply to John Marshall, since their deadline is April 1, but it's also in the city.

Like you, I think I'll miss the culture of New Orleans, not so much Baton Rouge, save the goings on of campus. Though, most of what I love about New Orleans can be found in other great cities: abundance of music, art, theater, food and nightlife. New Orleans certainly does have a unique intangible quality about it, and the fact that it is home means something.

Currently, I'm of the disposition that if I don't get a scholarship to DePaul, I'll attend LSU. If I do get a scholarship, well, the decision will be harder. That's another reason I may apply to John Marshall, as their standards are a good bit lower and I am more likely to get a scholarship. Oh well, still plenty of time and waiting ahead, but that's for the insights.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Grr ... that's supposed to be "thanks for the insights." Can't find an edit button for comments.

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Is [moving to a brand new place] what you expected?

Well, I don't really know what I expected! It's definitely been a positive thing, to say the least. And it definitely has its negatives. One of those being, as Loni stated, you'll need a new coat. But that's kind of a fun thing, too! For example, we're getting 7 inches of snow tomorrow - and that sucks - but I'm totally going sledding and that's awesome. LOL. And last week it was in the 60's, so it's not like it's a frozen hell all the time.

And, along the same lines as Loni, the culture is WAY different - less drama, but less doting on people, too. It's kind of every man for his own. Though I must point out - up here in the midwest, beer is king. In Chicago, you won't encounter the Republican-centric views that you might see in the BR and in Utah - most big cities are pretty liberal.

2. What has been hardest about it?

The friends thing, yes, but there are lots of LSU people in Chicago - you'd be surprised. And Beans is there! Also, I miss my family and friend from back home - wish they would visit more often!

3. What do you miss?

See: above. I miss Cane's, the people who hug you after knowing you for 2 minutes, hard alcohol, y'all!, Baton Rouge and New Orleans, in general...the culture. But anywhere you go will have it's own, unique culture. St. Louis had the rap scene and the whole world's fair deal, Madison has it's hippies and it's hella-liberal heads of government, and Chicago has, well, everything New York has but with more sky available for the viewing.
But the best part is, I can always go back to LA - that's the good thing about having family still at home.

I agree with Loni, though - take a weekend trip up to Chicago. If it's after April 20th I can meet you there and we can shack up with Christine. Seriously, it's one of the most beautiful places, in most areas, that I've ever seen. There's nothing like Lake Michigan at night on Navy Pier with the fireworks...

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Good to hear that beer is the thing in the midwest. I was thinking that I might be able to fly up for spring break, but that's before the 20th. I'll double check the dates on the deadlines to enroll and the required deposits, and maybe I could make a quick trip after graduation. Either way, I am going to Chicago later in the summer with my dad as his graduation present to me, so while it will be too late to be a first visit with the purpose of checking out the city, it could be an oppurtunity to do some apartment hunting and other explorations of the city should I decide to go there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home