06 March 2006

My Religion (or lack thereof)

As some of you may know, a recent development in my life, albeit very personal, has been my complete and total denouncement of all things religious. Having been raised Catholic, I think it absurd to meet the demands of ridiculous, arbitrary dogma, about which I know more than many practicing Catholics. Beyond this, however, I simply do not believe in any sort of supernatural being. There is simply no emperical evidence of its existence. While I do not make it any sort of life ambition to preach my atheism, I have admitted to it when asked about religion, and more often than not I receive a reaction of shock and dismay, though there have been a couple of understanding if not genuinely interested reactions. In an effort to avoid confrontation in these situations, I give a couple of superficial reasons behind my views and try to end the conversation as quickly as possible. Through my Intellectual History class, however, I have found minds much more brilliant that me that more aptly elucidate said reasonings.

Nietzsche from his Genealogy of Morals - religion originated from the slave morality, that is the morals of the common people, who sought to subjugate the nobles of master morality. Without going into further detail about the two moralities, suffice it to say that through the crucifixion of Jesus of Nazareth, because they were unable to act out directly, the slave morality imposed its own morals on the ruling class, the Romans. Enter the Roman Catholic Church.

Freud from his Civilization and its Discontents - in his pursuit to ease suffering, man can seek to completely disconnect himself from reality. This hermit life, however, is but a delusion. Religion is simply another example of this delusion. I whole-heartedly agree that it is a form of mass delusion, put in place by those who do not have the courage to act out for their own. As Freud suggests, religion is an artificial creation which calls for man to act contrary to his constitution, because it limits the ways by which he can satisfy his instinctual desires.

Einstein from Religion and Science - religion was initially an effort by which man attempted to escape fear: fear of famine, fear of beasts, fear of death. He created artifical beings which represented this things and gave them tribute in exchange for their blessing. Later religion became a product of morality in which man created and anthropomorphic being, God, though it still had many elements of fear. Morality, however, need not derive from a fear of punishment or a hope for reward after death, and this notion runs contrary to the action of men since it is simply a product of external and internal forces.

To me, Einstein says it best, I do not need God, or religion, to tell me what is right or wrong. I know something is wrong not because doing it will land me in Hell, but because it is simply wrong. The sentiments of Freud and Nietzsche can be best seen in those who act only within the confines of their belief structures; they are simply unable and/or unwilling to think and act on their own. I've spent my fair share of time at Baptist services to see a veritable horde of sheep "caught in the spirit." Some of this may surprise some of you, and you may think this is far from the best way to reveal these thoughts. On the contrary, this is exactly why I started this.

12 Comments:

At 1:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i will say i was a little surprised when you told me of your new beliefs (only because i also knew when you had pretty devout catholic feelings). not many people have the strength or willpower to deny something so easily accepted, and i give you kudos for that (yes, the delicious/nutritious snack bar). your thoughts and support have in turn encouraged me to divulge in my religious concerns...i guess it's just made me think more than anything else.

oh, and i hate you.

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Definitely good to make you think, but, like I said, I'm not here to convince the world or anything. Just putting it out there.

 
At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hrm...isn't this a phish blog? :) You know that, in my profession, religion isn't exactly the center of conversation (though we do have 2 practicing catholics in the lab) so I'm with ya. I will say, however, that I'm a big fan of 'the church' in general. Not necessarily in its governing body and its laws, but in the congregation and community. Oh, and I'm a big, huge fan of having a reason to dress nicely once a week. That being said, I've been pissed off at 'the church' lately because people are rocking JEANS at church - WTF? So now when I get all purtied up I'm out of place! SO not cool. Thus, it's been a while since I've paid the ol' Methodists a visit. Sigh.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I can see the viability of church as a gathering place, that's one of the huge reasons it was valued among the European countryside, not the rich cities, mind you. It was seen as a way to escape the drudgery of 19th century life, dressing up, seeing friends, and even do some busines. That being said, there are so many other avenues for that today, so church seems like an arbitrary decision, though I suppose there are certain people you may not get to see outside of Sunday visits to mass.

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

are there really, though? i mean, church is one of the few things nowadays that can't really be done on the internet. lol. i guess the only other social gathering i regularly attend is a visit to a bar...and i don't always want to booze it up...
maybe i should just join the junior league. lol.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I'll admit that most of the time I socialize, people are normally situated around beer, but, that's just social drinking, and it's called that for a reason. We are drinking because we like to, not to get hammered, the point is to hang out and enjoy each other's company. I don't feel ashamed of this fact, it's just my way of doing things I guess. This is just as arbitary a decision to use church as a social setting, except without all the religious hassles :p

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

speak for yourself about the getting hammered part ;)

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Stephen said...

we all know how it ends up though:

you start the night as just hanging out, drinking a couple beers, being sociable. then, you end up being trashed, having to drive with one eye open hoping an LSU or UT cop doesn't follow you home...it's all for the best though, because we realize, in this, we surpass anything intillectually a campus police officer ever could.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Ha, I typically drive with two eyes open, but that's just me. But yeah, definitely lookin out for the cops. DUI ftl.

 
At 12:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Sassy A... if I'm going to start drinking, I want to finish drinking, if you know what I mean. There are plenty of beverages with so-so flavor... but beer and booze get better as imbibed. And what's more, the entire world and all the people around you get better as you drink. Why just drink a little? That's like pulling out your dick to stroke it twice. Once you bother to whip it out, you might as well come on someone's face, you know? Drinking's like that.

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Matt said...

You confused me, Chris, as the comment is under the wrong post. Nonetheless, gotta love the analogy, definitely may as well finish the job while you are at it, if I may speak euphasmitically. Hell, compared to you, everything I say is a euphamism.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Loni Huff said...

"That being said, I've been pissed off at 'the church' lately because people are rocking JEANS at church - WTF?" -- Allyson

Quoted for Irony. WTF indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home